I am part of the organizing committee of the Amsterdam Metaphor Festival. We are excited that the Metaphor Festival will move from Stockholm to Amsterdam from 2016 onwards.
The conference promises to deliver two excellent keynote speeches by Tony Veale and James Lawley, and many great papers. Just check out the program.
If you are interested in my research, my co-authors and I will present the following papers:
- Attractive Apps: Explaining Download Success with Visual Metaphors and Other Cues – Benjamin Johnson, Christian Burgers and Allison Eden (in the session on ‘Divise and Attractive Metaphors’, 1 September, 10.45-12.15 hours)
- How refugee metaphors influence our political opinions – Britta Brugman, Christian Burgers (in the session on ‘Metaphor and Resilient Societies’, 1 September, 13.15-14.45 hours)
- How ironic remarks about social-category members contribute to stereotype formation – Camiel Beukeboom, Christian Burgers (in the session on ‘Experimental Research’, 1 September, 15.15-16.45 hours)
- The effects of metaphorical framing of political issues: A systematic literature review – Amber Boeynaems, Christian Burgers, Elly Konijn, Gerard Steen (in the session on ‘Metaphor in Political Communication’, 2 September, 10.45-12.15 hours)
- DMIP: A method for identifying potentially deliberate metaphor in language use – Gudrun Reijnierse, Christian Burgers, Tina Krennmayr, Gerard Steen (in the session on ‘New approaches to corpus analysis’, 2 September, 13.15-14.45 hours)
- Metaphor, Hyperbole, and Irony: Uses in Isolation and in Combination in Written Discourse – Christian Burgers, Kiki Renardel de Lavalette, Gerard Steen (in the session on ‘New approaches to corpus analysis’, 2 September, 13.15-14.45 hours)